I have an ear-worm. That’s when a song keeps swimming around in your head and you can’t get it out. I don’t know why, but this morning I woke up with that song from Sound of Music …”when the dog barks, when the bee stings, I simply remember my favorite things, then I don’t feel so bad ….” I think the song’s “theology” fits in with Philippians 4:6-8
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things.
When I go through trying times, I actually go through each word: true, noble, right, pure … and make myself think of something that fits each word. Sometimes I make myself thing of something that fits each word that’s directly related to the situation. It really helps and keeps my thoughts from spiraling into the “what ifs” and “how are we going to …?”
Today, in the spirit of the ear worm – here are some of my favorite things (this is today’s list and is always subject to change!) – not in any order
- pants that fit – specifically jeans – I love jeans!
- popcorn – just got the ingredients to try key-lime flavored
- signs of spring
- seeing deer when I’m driving – but not too close!
- surprises (which don’t always go with routine!)
- challenges to my “in the box” thinking (done gently and with kindness!)
- unplanned time with a friend
- spending time with friends
- American Idol (sorry!)
- spending a week with my two sisters and mom (and brother-in-law – thanks, Ron!)
- my job – I’m in my 19th year!
- a good book
- fru-fru coffee
- Coca Cola – but I’m not drinking it anymore
- March Madness excitement (but I don’t have to WATCH the games!)